The art program at OCS is taught based on the following principles:
- We recognize that each student is made in God’s image. Since God is a creative God, we have inherited some creativity, and it is our privilege to explore and develop this aspect of our being.
- We teach students that our world belongs to God. As students engage in thematic art projects, this truth is emphasized.
- We teach students about the creative, fallen and redemptive aspects of art. We equip them in developing a visual vocabulary that is rooted in a biblical framework so that they can interpret, discern and appropriately engage in surrounding art media.
Students in JK to Grade 3 have art class in their classrooms with their homeroom teachers. Those in Grades 4-8 have art class in the art room once per week with our art teacher, Mrs. Groen. During this time, students:
- acquaint themselves with various artists and periods of art
- explore the elements of art and principles of design
- experiment with different media and develop technical ability
- develop an artistic language and critiquing skills
- engage in test taking, projects and assessments